Throwback: Is Water Wet? #3

 This blog topic of slanted reporting was such a hard one to come up with. Maybe the topic just was going over my head. I took time to think back to my middle school days and think about the silly topics like scientist trying to say the Earth was flat, with that being said let's take it back to ' Is water wet?'. 

Let's get straight to the point here, no water is not wet. Water is a substance that has the ability to wet objects but, water cannot wet itself. This is truly such a dumb argument in the first place. Adding water to water doesn't increase the wetness of the water, it just simply adds to the volume of water that is already in whatever container it is in. 



Makaela Patten used this example in an article she wrote based on the topic:

"Picture this; you’re sitting on the beach when it starts raining. Your hair gets wet, your clothes get wet, even the sand gets wet, but those things will dry. However, when it rains into the ocean the ocean is not wet, it just contains more water, and it cannot be dried. Taking the water away from the ocean and “drying it” takes away the ocean itself."

It is very obvious that Patten is expressing why water cannot be wet. Giving many different examples and explanations she is able to convince the audience that indeed water is not wet. Why this is still an ongoing topic is truly surprising, however it's just a typical social media uproar. 



Patten, M. (n.d.). Is water wet? The General Journal. Retrieved October 23, 2022, from https://hhsgeneraljournal.com/6607/editorials/its-whatever/is-water-wet/ 

Comments

  1. Hi Mercedes, I almost forgot about that debate. I remember it was a huge topic and at some point i did believe water was wet. After reading through your blog it cleared up some unsolved questions of mine. Like you mentioned above, water is a substance so therefore cannot be considered as wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember me and my classmates arguing about topic so much in my science class my science teacher had made a small power point for my class explaining why water is wet. I think he said something like something is only wet if water molecules bind to something and water molecules are binding to other water molecules making water wet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be completely honest, I was the person who believed that water was wet. I justified it in the same way that apparently everyone else did (it can wet things), but this has been very enlightening. However, I can't say I'm fully convinced. If water is not wet, how can it make other things wet? As humans, we can't pass on things that we don't have ourselves, and if we were to look at another example, such as fire, one could argue that fire is hot and it spreads because of this heat. Given that water can also spread, I think it could be argued that it has to be wet in order to spread across things, like a paper towel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts